Did you know that pets can actually have an impact on their owner’s physical heart health?
Recent statistics show that having a pet in our life can play a pretty sizable role in both our physical and mental health. Just another reason to have fur babies!
And while cats and dogs make up the majority of household pets, there are so many other types of pets. Horses, pigs, cows, ferrets, rabbits, hamsters, mice… And then there are pets with feathers, scales, shells, and even exoskeletons! Think birds, fish, reptiles, turtles, and even crabs and spiders. The list is endless!
While some may sound unconventional to many of us, all have the ability to make awesome pets for the right person, with the same awesome abilities to improve our health and happiness.
The Physical Ways Pets Keep Our Hearts Healthy
Dogs in particular, force us to get outside every day, even on those days when it’s the LAST thing we feel like doing!
But in doing so, they promote our cardiovascular health in many little ways:
- Encouraging physical activity and exercise
- Reducing stress and anxiety by lowering the stress hormone, cortisol.
- Lowering blood pressure
- Reducing cholesterol, and triglyceride levels.
The Other Ways Pets Keep Our Hearts and Minds Healthy
Having a pet can also encourage people to be more social, which can potentially reduce the risk of depression.
- Pets give us unconditional love without judgement.
- Caring for a pet brings a sense of purpose.
- Pets significantly reduce loneliness in seniors and those who live alone.
- Having a pet gives a sense of security, comfort, and protection.
- Pets bring out our playful side and encourage us to have fun.
- Caring for a pet teaches us about kindness and compassion.
There’s a reason why people living with pets report higher levels of happiness than those living without pets.
Their companionship enhances our lives in so many unique ways, all of which work together to improve both our physical and mental health.
Pay it Forward!
Thank your pet for the ways they improve your life by providing them with the same love they show you every day, and by maintaining their health.
Under the Weather products for cats and dogs were developed to keep your best friend healthy so they can live a long and happy life.
Every Sale Supports a Shelter Pet. Learn More.
Created in Vermont. Learn More.
If you suspect your pet is sick, call your vet immediately. For health-related questions, always consult your veterinarian, as they have examined your pet, know the pet's health history, and can make the best recommendations for your pet.