Many of us take animal control for granted. We treat is as something that happens “behind the scenes” to keep our communities running smoothly. But the truth is it takes a team of dedicated, hard-working professionals who devote a great many hours to serve the public. It takes special skills to approach abused, abandoned or diseased animals, and a big heart to do the job.
Take a moment to watch this heart-wrenching video posted by Hope for Paws about a heroic rescue of a German Shepherd from the Los Angeles River – a long stretch of mostly cement framed by high embankment and fencing.
This week it’s our turn to show our thanks by celebrating Animal Care and Control Appreciation Week, April 9-15, 2017. How can we show our appreciation?
- Contact our local shelters and municipalities, find out who these unsung heroes are, ask them to share their rescue stories on video and post their stories on social media.
- Educate the public about services these professionals provide by protecting the welfare of helpless animals and pets that are rescued from injury, disease, abuse and starvation.
- Raise awareness about the importance of enforcing animal control laws and keeping the public safe from diseases such as rabies.
- Donate your time to help educate the public about the proper care of community pets.
- Work with animal control units to organize a thank you party for their efforts, invite the local press.
- Suggest a guest appearance by an animal control professional at your child’s school.
- Organize an awareness campaign to continue the pathway of rescued animals needing to find their forever homes.
- Write a note of thanks to your local animal control agency. It will mean a lot to know you care!
This blog is brought to you by Under the Weather®, provider of bland diet products for dogs. These bland diet products offer a quick and convenient solution when dogs experience digestive issues such as vomiting or diarrhea. Ready to go in minutes – just add boiling water to rehydrate.
Our bland diet recipes are made with 100% human-grade meats – no meat by-products, antibiotic free and no hormones added! They are gluten free and have no chemicals or dyes. Sourced and manufactured in the U.S.A.
View Our Products
Visit Our Blog Library