We hear about the benefits of coconut oil for humans just about everywhere you turn, but is it also good for your dog? Absolutely! Coconut oil is an extremely nutritious oil rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides which have a host of health benefits for your dog.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Skin & Coat – Coconut oil can improve the overall health of the skin and make the coat soft and shiny. Adding it to your dog’s diet can help improve skin conditions such as itchy skin, eczema and allergies. It can also be used during bathing to moisturize and prevent dry skin.
- Bites & Wounds – The antibacterial properties in coconut oil can help disinfect wounds, hot spots and skin abrasions to promote quick healing. It is very soothing and can be applied topically to insect bites and rashes to reduce itching and discomfort.
- Insect Repellent – The lauric acid found in coconut oil has been found to be an effective natural repellent for ticks and fleas.
- Fungal Growth – Coconut oil has antifungal properties which helps prevent and treat fungal and yeast infections, including candida. Its antiviral properties also help dogs recover quickly from kennel cough.
- Deodorant – The pleasant tropical smell of coconut oil can help reduce doggy odor when applied to your dog’s skin. It also makes a great toothpaste substitute for dogs with stinky breath. They love the taste of coconut oil, so there may be less fussing at brushing time.
- Digestion – The fatty acids in coconut oil are easily digestible and have been found to improve digestive issues and increase nutrient absorption.
- Weight Loss & Joint Mobility – Coconut oil is known to assist in normal regulation of the thyroid, which can help overweight dogs shed some pounds. The fatty acids found in coconut oil are quickly converted to energy, and dogs with joint issues such as arthritis can benefit from better joint mobility.
- Disease Prevention – Like cinnamon, coconut oil helps prevent diabetes by regulating and balancing insulin. It also helps prevent infection and heart disease.
- Brain Health – Coconut oil is excellent for your dog’s brain health. It’s being used to stave off dementia in humans, and is a great way to keep your senior dog’s mind from becoming cloudy.
How Much Coconut Oil?
You’ll want to introduce coconut oil into your dog’s diet slowly so his system can adjust. Start by adding only 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon to his meal at first. If your dog’s stool gets too loose, add a few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin to his meal. Eventually, you can work up to 1 tablespoon for every 30 lbs of body weight.
This blog is brought to you by Under the Weather®, provider of bland diet products for dogs. These bland diet products offer a quick and convenient solution when dogs experience digestive issues such as vomiting or diarrhea. Ready to go in minutes – just add boiling water to rehydrate.
Our bland diet recipes are made with 100% human-grade meats – no meat by-products, antibiotic free and no hormones added! They are gluten free and have no chemicals or dyes. Sourced and manufactured in the U.S.A.
View Our Products
Visit Our Blog Library